posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff

Default The Fastest Boats

Capt. Rob wrote:
Any similar in length multi will blow away a mono if the multi is just
off
the wind.

Exactly, and I'm talking about performance here which includes not
always being off the wind. The PDQ is also not a racer/cruiser which I
specified. It's a long range family cruiser only. It doesn't even fit
into the comparison.

We don't have the polars for your boat or mine, and I'll even concede
that mine, as configured (without tall rig, with diesels, loaded for
cruising, etc.) doesn't have scintillating upwind performance, but:

The polars for the big version of mine, the PDQ 42, can be compared to
the big version of yours, the Farr designed 40.7, a hot racing
machine. They show that while the Bene might point a few degrees
higher, the PDQ will walk away from it *upwind* in winds over 12
knots. In 16 knots, for instance, the Bene is pointing at 38 degrees
with a VMG of 5.37, while the PDQ is at 42 degrees with a VMG of 5.88.
If you compare the boats point for point, you find that the only
significant advantage the Bene has is upwind in winds under 10 knots
and less. Even in 6 knots of wind, the PDQ is walking away from the
Bene off the wind.