Bryan

Default Sal****er and Trailer Wheel Bearings

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 02:56:23 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

I'm going to put my boat into sal****er.
Is this a problem for my wheel bearings that won't be resolved with a
fresh
water hose down?

Only if you have a leaky seal and deflated bearing buddies. Remember
that putting hot hubs into cold water will try to create a suction
that tries to pull water into the bearings.

I've seen a hot bearing explode - the damn thing was smoking when the
idiot dunked the trailer. He had to have been blind, stupid or both.

When I got my boat, I was a boat virgin, members of this ng told me to pull
into the prep area and let the bearings cool down before putting the trailer
into the water. You warned me about the incompatibility of hot bearings and
cold water. I'm grateful for the warning; the first thing I would have done
to show myself how good I was getting at boating and trailering would have
been to zip into the ramp area and back the trailer straight into the water
with bearings screaming. As it is, I watch guys do just that over and over.

I actually have learned to enjoy the relaxed preparation time along with the
confidence that I've done all the right things, drain plug, etc., before
putting my expensive toy in the water. And my bearings get to cool down in
the process. Does it get any better than that!

Thanks to everyone for their latest input on this current sal****er bearing
question.

Bryan
Sea Ray 185 Sport