Evan Gatehouse

Default Ocean Crossing on a Trailerable Unsinkable Corsair 36 !

sherwindu wrote:
I'm not concerned because I sail a monohull. Multihulls have two stable states, upright
and upside down, whereas most monohulls have only one stable state, upright. The
monohull has a heavy keel suspended like a pendlum, so when knocked down or over,
the natural stable state is for the boat to right itself.

Monos have two stable states too - upright and on the bottom.

I don't think the 5500 lb. weight of this 36 foot boat would not do much to prevent it flipping
when it is sideways to a huge wave, or caught with too much sail up in a strong gust.
It probably takes more force to flip this boat because of the longer moment arm, but once
it reaches a certain point, it will go over and stay there.

Sailed conservatively Farrier trimarans are safe as houses.
The only ones that seem to capsize are when they are
overpowered during racing, when adrenalin is running high

Evan Gatehouse