posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Jon....road advice?

Heavenly is a great mountain. I like the Nevada
side for shorter lift lines and fewer people. As I recall
Stagecoach is on the Nevada side. On the other side
avoid Gunbarrel, black diamond at the bottom of the
mountain. It is so long that people get tired and then
hurt on it. Smart people take the tram down at the end
of the day if you ski the California side.

395 should be fine. It is a very scenic route. You probably
won't be able to enter Yosemite from the eastern side. The
eastern road is closed most of the winter. Unfortunately there
is no good north-south route on the western side of the Sierras.

You don't want to miss Yosemite, it is spectacular and also
somewhat of a tedious drive coming in from the California side.
If I were you I'd catch Yosemite on the way out for at least
an afternoon drive through. From one spot seven majestic
waterfalls surround you.

OzOne wrote
Jon, can you give me some advice?
We are looking at driving from LA to Heavenly via Mammoth using the
395 then hopping over the Kingsbury Grade (207) to access our lodging
near the stagecoach lift off Tramway drive.

Is this a viable proposition in winter, or is the road likely to be a
problem.

Also, if we do go that way, is access available in winter from the
western side of Yosemite into the park?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.