DSK

Default Header or lift

Is that difficult or something?

Capt.Mooron wrote:
To some posting here Doug... it would be impossible.

yep.

Depends very much on the boat and the situation. I can picture some
conditions where I would set a kedge, which is sort of cheating.

Well, good. The next step is to get a tippy hi-performance dinghy and
learn to sail it without embarassment. If you value heavy weather skills,
an afternoon of sailing a 14' crew-ballasted centerboarder in 20 knots
will teach you more than years of sailing a heavy 30 footer in much
stronger winds.

Oh Okay... I'll run right out and do that... Oh Wait.... I owned a Laser for
5 years

Laser= good

... and a Hobie for a year

You mean a Hobie 16?

... and even got to go out on an International 14
in 20+kts. Now you're talking fast!

They're fun... for the certifiably insane...

.......not this "my boat can do 8 kts
and yours only does 6 kts" crap! Owned and sailed an Optimist even.

In my early teens I got suckered into going out to race Optis in a big
fleet, thinking that it would be kinda fun even if the boat was boxy.
The kids all weighed about 40 ~ 50 lbs less than me... wasn't even
close! Actually it was a fun boat to sail when the the wind got up, but
I quickly learned that being competitive in some classes takes some
definite & undeniable factors....

... Been
Kayak sailing with both the wishbone and kite.

I'd like to try that. How does the kite compare? Is it faster for the
same (or less) sail area? That's what the kiteboarders claim.

DSK