NotPony

Default Header or lift

"DSK" wrote in message
: "J B" wrote...
: You gentlemen need to learn the terms of
sailing. When steering the
: marks
: it's a header or a lift, not feather up or
down or whatever, steer
: according to the wind.... make headway when
you can and adjust
: accordingly.
:
: Umm... no. Think velocity, not shifts.
:
: A header or lift is a change in the winds
direction, relative to which
: tack you are one. Feathering (as I've always
heard it used) is when you
: get a gust and head a little higher to depower
the boat and gain some
: distance to windward, rather than either heel
more or ease the sail.
:

Feathering can be used to take a 'bite' up wind.
Always sail on the lifted tack. And when you do
get a puff, "ease - hike - trim" are the words to
live by. Generally, a puff is going to stall the
sail. Ease to re-attach the flow, hike to flatten
the boat, trim back in.

:
: Capt.Mooron wrote:
: What the hell... you think you have the
monopoly on correct sailing
: terminology for the entire planet?
:
:
: Maybe he does.
:
: The Captain I learned to sail with used to
refer to "Pinching & Pumping"....
: falling off to gain speed and heading up to
make point in light air. It also
: worked great in gusty conditions when reefing
was not practical for a short
: run.
:
: Basically... terminology is fine around the
club house... but you can see a
: real sailor by how he moves his boat.
:
:
: True.

Or not. Pumping is not the same as pinching and
footing as Mooron says. ISAF won't let you get
away with pumping.

:
:
: Unlike most... I've sailed a 30 ft full keel
sloop for a year without an
: engine. Now that teaches you how to handle a
vessel much better than a
: hundred books on polars and technical jargon.
Don't believe me... try
: sailing from a lee dock in 20kts with vessels
astern and ahead.
:
: Is that difficult or something?
:
:
: ... I had no
: choice but to sail to a slip. I set anchor
under sail and learned to plan my
: entry and exits.
:
:
: Well, good. The next step is to get a tippy
hi-performance dinghy and
: learn to sail it without embarassment. If you
value heavy weather
: skills, an afternoon of sailing a 14'
crew-ballasted centerboarder in 20
: knots will teach you more than years of sailing
a heavy 30 footer in
: much stronger winds.

Or, try a 17' Thistle.

: