rhys

Default Sara Gamp comes ashore

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:09:35 GMT, Gary wrote:

Welding new plates on is a bigger job than grinding out blisters and no
boat ever sank from blisters!

Agreed. I am looking at steel, aluminum AND fibreglass for
ocean-capable cruisers in the 40-45 foot range. I am seeing decent
examples of each, with a few observations:

The aluminum boats are very touchy about galvanism, and dent easiest.
However, they tend to sail very nicely, but command a premium in price
and, I expect, attention from the owner to keep them free from
electrical issues. To build them is easiest; to weld them is tougher.

The steel boats have a huge variability in fit, finish and general
construction. A lot of homebuilts are utter crap, particularly those
ubiquitous Roberts designs; on the other hand, I have seen that about
1 in 10 are as good or better than any production boat of similar
dimensions. The break point of steel in term of "too heavy" is around
40 feet for a cruiser, but you can get a "leisurely" sailer that is
pretty bulletproof in that range if you are willing to wield a
chipping hammer and stay on top of the paint schedule.

The fibreglass production boats of today are generally insufficient in
design and strength for offshore. They have too much freeboard and not
enough beef where it counts. There are exceptions, of course, but if
you can find and live with designs 25 years or so old (and the boat
isn't a wreck or needs immediate repowering and refurbishment), you
can find some nice deals.

In sum, I am finding a pilothouse cutter and/or ketch that can sail
semi-decently in any material is difficult, but not impossible. You
won't find "names" in these category, however, because the vast
majority of recreational sailors stop at coastal or perhaps Caribbean
sailing grounds. That's fine: they have scads of choices, particularly
lately as the charter fleets are cycling out middle-aged boats because
there's reduced mooring due to hurricanes, etc.

But a three cabin, two head Beneteau is a long way from what I want to
cross the Pacific with.

R.