Bob

Default Coast Guard turning over lighthouse operation to local govts??

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:56:00 -0400, "John Gaquin"
wrote:

wrote in message

I wonder if the city plans to assume operation of the light or if the
USCG will continue to maintain the nav. aid. (Like nearly all lights
these days,I believe the West Point Light is fully automated)

All lights used in navigation are automated, and all lights but one are
unmanned but visited regularly for routine mx, etc. The Boston Light, on
Little Brewster Island in Boston Harbor is the oldest lighthouse in the
country, and is a manned lighthouse.

a bit of trivia since i'm a radio op at USCG STA sandy hook, n.j....

sandy hook light house is the oldest one in operation according to the
USCG (http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/...ousefacts.html).
although the brewster lighthouse was constructed first. that one
burned down and was rebuilt later...

just a matter of definition, i suppose...like those of us born in
pittsburgh are taught that KDKA was the first radio station...

to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field