Brian Nystrom

Default Cutting scarfs

wrote:
Started working on my Tolman Skiff. I began by cutting the bottom
pieces from 1/2 marine ply but these have to be scarfed together to
make longer pieces. The specified angle is 8.1 degrees and the
directions describe a scarfing jig to be made with a circular saw but
they require a larger saw than mine. However, I did buy a "Sawzall" to
deal with some rot on my house. I tried various ways to do this with
little success. Finally, I simply cut inclined cuts about 2" apart all
along the scarf area angled at the 8 degrees. Then I used the Sawzall
to cut the scarf cutting each of these out. This gave a reasonable
first and second attempt. Then, I used the sander to make it nicer and
make sure the layers of ply formed parallel bands. I think my first
two scarfs are ok.

It's probably just as easy to cut them with a plane. You can stack
several layers of plywood and cut them all at once.