Default Cutting scarfs

OK, I went out and bought a power plane. It is WAAAAAAAY easier with
it and it makes better scarfs.

Jim Conlin

A belt sander will do this job just as well and is much more widely useful
than a power plane.
In either case, finish the scarph surfaces with a sharp handplane. Check
with a straightedge.

"Jonathan W." wrote in message
Brian Whatcott wrote:
On 15 Oct 2005 16:00:36 -0700, wrote:

OK, I went out and bought a power plane. It is WAAAAAAAY easier with
it and it makes better scarfs.

Now I am getting moody. I looked round town at the last mention of a
power planer - and drew a blank (population 20,000)

There is not meant to be any power tool that I don't own.
That's what my wife says, at least

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

If you can't find one locally, how about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKITA-ELECTRIC-...54745518QQcate
goryZ42283QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

might have to cut and past that url

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

Brian Nystrom

Jim Conlin wrote:
A belt sander will do this job just as well and is much more widely useful
than a power plane.
In either case, finish the scarph surfaces with a sharp handplane. Check
with a straightedge.

The problem with using an edged tool on any surface that's been sanded
is that the inevitable grit that's left behind does a number on the
cutting edge. That's one major advantage of using a power planer rather
than a belt sander. The others are reduced sawdust and greater ease in
maintaining a flat surface. Belt sanders are great for rounding things
over. ;-)
Lew Hodgett

Subject

Tool chosen depends on the size of the scarf.

I've use both a router and a power plane, each with it's own jig to make
a lot of scarfs on pieces less than about 6" wide.

If sheet goods are involved, then the Gougeon Bros have a neat
attachment for a circular saw.

I would do most anything to avoid a belt sander, they are strictly a
PITA except as an abrasive stock removal tool, IMHO.

Lew