Roger Derby

I always figured that kind of flotation would make the boat very stable in
the inverted position. I'm putting my flotation as high under the side
decks as it will go.

Not much would have helped the Titanic. According to the latest theories,
they got their rivets from the lowest bidder. The shock of the collision
just unzipped the hull.

Before people went down and explored the wreck, the thought was that after
one or two compartments flooded, the water spilled over the top of the
bulkheads which were not full height. A typical English shipyard job
according to Patrick O'Brian. The Royal Navy's best ships were the many
they captured from the French.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm
"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message
Another option would be to fill between the bulkheads (between the bottom
and the floor) with expanding foam floatation. I'm not sure this would
have helped on the Titanic...
--
"Roger Derby" wrote in message
ink.net...
For each watertight compartment, figure the flooded waterline and make
sure the bulkheads are significantly higher (remember the Titanic).

"MRusson" wrote in message
Dear group,
I was recently cruising around the web looking at some shanty
boat plans, and noticed that none of the 5 or 6 plans i saw had any
bulkheads in the framing that would prevent the entire one piece hull
from filling with water should the hull be punctured. David Beede from
the Simplicity Boats website has a great concept design of a hull with
nice framing and plenty of beef to it. In the size of hull he drew, it
has a 4000 lb displacement with about a 4" draft. It would be a great
hull design. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for proper
placement of bulkheads in a shanty one piece hull. This would be much
easier to build than individual pontoons with bulkheads. Any thoughts?
Thanks..