d parker

Now that we have decieded what keel you have, we can go through some points.

Swings are usually a little slower than drop keel (daggerboard) boats. Due
to the added drag caused by the "slot/s" and in some cases cable.

They are however excellent if you bump the bottom as there is less chance of
doing harm to the "case" as they just fold aft.

A point of interest here is that the pic you show is a "Swing" with a small
"wing" attached. As Matt mentioned before the wing helps to get wieght lower
and in the case of this particular one I would think the designers have
developed it to assist in minimising the various vorecies that would be
occuring around that area as well.

Frankly though, I dont like the design in the picture as it is not one that
lends itself to the beaching of the boat, which is one of the many good
reasons to own a trailerable. Though it is probably quite stable with the
keel up.

DP
"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, I'm really embarrassed now , but I think that I should have used
the term "swing keel". See the link shown below. This is what the thing
looks like. The caption on the photo says "Infamous Wing Wing
Keel"---which is were I got the term in the first place. I think that
this "keel" is more like a centerboard or daggerboard (maybe). Anyway,
apparently this keel has at least two positions completely "up" and
completey "down" ---or maybe more---I dunno. Anyway, assuming that
"SWING KEEL" is the correct term, how dos the thing work and how do you
let it up and down (...maybe with a rope...er...I mean a sheet).
Thanks, Jim

http://www.sailboatowners.com/album/...51942590&bts=T