Matt Colie

Jim,

If that is the biggest mistake you make, you are doing very well.

Yes, the picture is a swing keel. Because of its design often refered
to as a swing wing keel (just to confuse the public). It is not called
a centerboard because :
It is part of the ballast system.
It does not pull into an internal trunk.

Daggerboards are only a variety of center board that gets pushed
straight down.

H23 came with several keel choices. Any movable kind, has a winch
affair somewhere (I know where to look on a Cat 22). I can not tell you
where to look specifically. You will probably find a penant some where
over the keel that leads to this winch - Good Luck

Just one passing remark, notice that Jim's keel is resting the trailer.
That is what to do. Do not transport the boat with the keel lifted by
the winch. It will not take a jolt and may well dmage the winch. But,
have a launch/retrieval check list and be sure that this is an item on
both sides.

Matt Colie

Jim wrote:
Ok, I'm really embarrassed now , but I think that I should have used
the term "swing keel". See the link shown below. This is what the thing
looks like. The caption on the photo says "Infamous Wing Wing
Keel"---which is were I got the term in the first place. I think that
this "keel" is more like a centerboard or daggerboard (maybe). Anyway,
apparently this keel has at least two positions completely "up" and
completey "down" ---or maybe more---I dunno. Anyway, assuming that
"SWING KEEL" is the correct term, how dos the thing work and how do you
let it up and down (...maybe with a rope...er...I mean a sheet).
Thanks, Jim

http://www.sailboatowners.com/album/...51942590&bts=T