Paul Oman

Brian D wrote:

I'm curious ...I gave away my last bit of 404/414 so don't have a label to
read, but who's description was misleading? Interlux's? Or was the
description ambiguous instead? You know ...poorly written and could apply
equally well to more than one (conflicting) type of use? Have you called
the rep and told him about your experiences? Might save some newbies
headaches later on if the labels were clearer... Most companies won't want
you to be unhappy because a product was used for the wrong type of
application.

Brian

Hello All -

adding solvents to epoxy will decrease its physical properties but for a
hull coating that is OK. Epoxies are one of the very few coatings
suitable for constant immersion. Unlike polyester resin, which will let
water pass (hence boat blisters) epoxies provide a waterproof seal -
plain and simple.

epoxy primers, bond enhancers etc. are generally just solvent thinned
epoxy. Epoxies are a common primer under many other coatings. You can
use straight solvent free marine epoxies as a prime. Note that you
certainly would want to worry about amine blush with some epoxies,
especially if you are using them as a primer....

Awlgrip is a polyester polyurethane. Polyurethene's weakest property is
its bonding, hence usually used under a fresh coat of epoxy.
Polyurethanes are never recommended for immersion service, although I
wonder (and will soon be testing) 2 part polys bonded chemically with
uncured epoxy and put into immersion service. It may work, albeit no
one will officially so state.

PAUL OMAN Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.