Gogarty

In article ,
says...

I am contemplating taking a cruise with my 13 year old daughter this
coming August, with the end destination the Shrewsbury River, in NJ,
where I grew up.

I would like to solicit thoughts as to somewhat "kid friendly" places to
stop. I keep leaving the pertinent chart on the boat, but have thought
stopping in Mystic to see the Seaport, and possibly the
South Street Seaport (if there is dockage nearby, not evident from the
website).

My memory is that Stonington has a nice anchorage, perhaps to sail her
dinghy around after the days travels, but after that I draw a blank. Any
suggestions?

World's Fair Marina on Flushing Bay. Cheap. Ten minutes to subway and half
hour to Manhattan from there. Baseball games at Shea Stadium five minutes
away. Far better than anyplace on Manhattan for many reasons. Time the
tides right and it's straight shot to Sandy Hook in four or five hours with
a most spectacular trip down the East River with a five knot current and
around the Battery or through Buttermilk Channel to the Narrows and then
across the lower Bay and Raritan Bay. Anchor in Horseshoe Cove (rolly with
the wrong wind but OK) and take in the Shrewsbury and Highlands at your
leisure.

There is no dockage at the Seaport. Some of the Seaport's vessels have
moved to World's Fair Marina (Lettie G. Howard). Take the subway to the
Seaport.

From Stonington, go Pt. Jefferson then Flushing Bay. Or many other stops.
Mattituck is a good one. Good town dock with showers and town and ice cream
in walking distance. Oyster Bay another. Brave the Sand Hole. Have fun.