David&Joan

Jonathan:

I have done that trip back and forth a few times. Stonington has an ok
anchorage but not great- somewhat rolly due to passing ship traffic. Mystic
Seaport is a much better stop in that neighborhood. It is almost magical to
walk through the Seaport after dark when all of the tourists have left.
Makes you think you have shifted back in time a few centuries.

We usually stop in Essex on the Connecticut River as our next stop heading
west. Anchor out or take a mooring. The inn (name forgotten) with its sea
chanty entertainment is interesting if not funky.

After Essex you should be able to make Huntington Bay. You can anchor just
outside of the inner harbor or get a mooring or a slip inside.

Then next through Hells Gate and the delights of NYC. The 79th st Boat Basin
is the best deal in NYC. Moorings are $20 per night. You need a good dinghy
and o/b to get to the docks as the current will be strong. You can walk to
the subway and get to anywhere in NYC from there.

Then it is an easy day sail to Sandy Hook.

David