Wayne.B

Default How many feet for a nantucket voyage?

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:01:07 -0500, "jay" wrote:
I am interesting in checking out the lower half of the Ct River, and out
towards Nantucket/The Vineyard.. I have no plans to try this on the 18' I
have now, but what would anyone recommend for a good "sea worthy" size for a
boat to stand up to the chop?
Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Sea Ray sun Deck (260 horse, 24 ft.,
50gal gas tank) thinking that that might be something that can be used
around the Islands/The Cape...

==================================

I have been to the Vineyard in my 24 foot I/O cuddy and would not
hesitate to go again as long as the weather is favorable and stable.

This is not a trip for the inexperienced however. There are some
areas of strong tide rips and current which can be very nasty for a 24
under certain conditions. The islands are also prone to sudden, thick
fog which can seem to come out of nowhere, even on a bright sunny day.
Last but not least, a summer thunder squall can put you into very
hazardous conditions in no time at all.

Go, but be careful, and be well prepared. Try a few trips out to
Block Island first just to get your feet wet.