Skip Gundlach

Default Low-cost reed switches and computer fans, revisited, along with low-amp lighting

My apologies for taking so long to get this info. I've been living on
the boat full time while I refit in a frenzy, trying to beat the
deadline of having to go in for surgery, already once delayed. The
data was at home, 650 miles away, where I went last weekend.

So, here you go:

www.1coolpc.com for the low-draw fans. I used Vantec
http://www.1coolpc.com/stealth.htm 120mm Stealth (.08A, 53CFM, 1500RPM,
$17) for the spillover and two 60mm Stealth (08A, 12CFM, 2600RPM,$9).
His standard deal is to throw in a freebie fan, too

www.electronix.com for the NO/NC reed magnetic microswitches. I used
part 97-132, $1.99 each
http://www.electronix.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id/12714

I'm going to be using 2x 3-cluster (White - ULITE-W3, $3.95) LEDs
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...i?product=UTIL
to light the reefer, and one to light the freezer. The switch will
turn on the LED, and turn off the circulating fans and the spillover
fan, when the door is opened. I'll also use these microswitches and
the 3-cluster LEDs for dim lighting in each of the closets and storage
areas with doors. For about 6 bux and negligible other costs, as I'll
do them myself, we'll always be able to see what's in the closet.

Right now, I'm playing with LED rope lighting, having just gotten my
first roll, red. So far I've only cut one section, and will put it
next to the 4' fluorescent that I put up in the walkthrough/workshop,
with an on/off/on red/white switch. However, until I take that fixture
down to make the mounting for it, I've got it draped over a couple of
places in the nav station.

There's ample light to read by, but it's red, hallelujah, for night
vision. This segment is spoken for, and thus not any other than just
draped, but I'd have to figure out how to mount it so it was tastefully
seen/not seen, and not in a position to shine in my eyes. Behind the
fixture in the walkthrough, it will be stupendous. I'm hopeful, as
easy as it appears to work with (aside from having to figure out how to
mount it so it doesn't look like Christmas decoration, easy in
under-cabinet and behind-fascia locations but not necessarily so
everywhere), that I'll be able to do ambient lighting in amber in most
places, but in particular, in the cockpit, for the most-of-the-time
leisure we'll spend there. I'm leaning toward running up the bows of
the bimini, if I could manage it, and just put the red on the binnacle
frame,as in the 8' or so of that length, there would be ample red light
- perhaps even too much, and I'd want to make it smaller. Red (and
amber) light is about .15A per meter, so we don't have to be stingy
with the length!

Amortized, if I were to do 4' sections for each light (which, of
course, could be longer or shorter, with ~1" per bulb in the rope),
adding the additional cost of extra plugs, each would be under $10.
It's only because I'm adding the 1.95 per extra plug that it's that
much, as 5 come with the roll, along with 150 mounting clips. Max run
for 12V operations is ~20m - but that only affects my original thought
of outlining my stays at anchor, an admittedly affectatious thought
based on, several years ago, having seen a marvelous schooner so rigged
during one of the legs of a circumnav with my ex-father-in-law where we
crewed in order to see if Lydia really wanted to do this :{))

Hope this is helpful to those who asked, and again I apologize for the
delay.

L8R

Skip, refitting as fast as I can

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 - The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain