MMC

I agree with advocates of the bowline for the following reasons: 1) it will
not come untied until you want it to, 2) when you want it to- you can untie
it, and 3) it devalues the breaking strain of the line less than other
knots. In this I mean that if a line is put under heavy strain, it will
break at the knot before it reaches it's stated breaking point because of
the bends required to form the knot will break first.
I'm a firm believer that a boater only needs 3 knots; bowline, clove hitch,
and square; along with a good idea of when to use each and the ability to do
so quickly.
MMC (Navy coxswain, Navy and commercial diver, sailor, and all around nosey
*******)

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:36:43 -0700, "Gordon" wrote:

What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.

Are you really having trouble making a bowline? Sure, you can use other
knots to tie sheets to the jib. But they're going to be just as "pesky"
and if you're a sailor, you should know how to make a bowline quickly
anyway.

Steve