Mic

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:24:07 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

In the process of researching the differences between a Grampian 26
(fin keel, spade rudder) - 4 foot draft
http://www.grampianowners.com/G26/grampian_26.html

http://sailquest.com/market/models/gramp26.htm

and a Bayfield 25 (full keel, keel hung rudder) -3 foot draft
http://sailquest.com/market/models/bayf25.htm

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...5%2F27%2F05%29

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/2536

Ok, here goes my comparison of the Grampian (G26) and the Bayfield
(B25)

G26

Likes:
-good ballast to displacement ratio
-balanced rudder
-4ft keel - inbetween a shoal keel and deep keel
-configured for an outboard on the transom (ie no brackets necessary)
-no bow sprit
-enclosed head
-dinette
-can sleep 5
-rather roomy for a 26ft
-rear 1/4 starboard berth (the pearson P26 doesnt have one)
-full 6ft headroom
-90 degree transom
-fairly fast sailing

Dislikes:
-iron keel -prefer lead
-icebox accessed from the cockpit
-no lazzarette for the outboard
-no opening port lights

B25

Likes:
-beautiful looking - great lines
-full keel
-shoal draft
-keel hung rudder
-handles heavy wind well

Dislikes:
-bow sprit
-encapsulated keel
-usually and inboard diesel or Vire 2 stroke
-no provision for an outboard
-no 1/4 berth
-some have a huge hatch in the cockpit floor for engine access
-brightwork on top to the transom
-small inside
-the headroom is 5'10" except under the sliding hatch6ft
-interior layout vary quite a bit
-unbalance rudder
-I dont believe there are hatch boards - but saloon doors
-slow sailing not great in light airs
-doesnt point to weather well

Now the "ideal" boat would be a Nor'sea 27 with stern cockpit, but way
out of the price range.

Some may disagree but my preferences are for an outboard rather than
an inboard.
A porti-potty rather than a holding tank type setup.

I doubt the builder of the G26 or the B25 built them to be considered
"bluewater boats" although few have used them as such.

With certain "mods" like Dave and Aja on ther 25ft Catalina did for
their circumnavagation these could be contenders.

Other models similar to the G26 is the Pearson 26, Oday 27

Other models similar to the B25 is the Ariel 26, Bristol 27/26