Denis Marier

I appreciate everyone's comments concerning this subject.
After collecting all kind of information on boats having being surveyed my
confidence level is questionable. This could be the subject of another
tread.

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter Aitken" wrote:

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Thanks for your comments I found very constructive.
The last boat I look at the price at $xx,xxx US reduced.
With a price tag marked as "reduced" can you still start you

negotiation
at
3/4 of the reduced price.

You can start negotiation anywhere you want. The only downside is that

if
you start at a price that the seller sees as completely ridiculous then

he
might get ticked off or at least conclude that you are not a serious

buyer.
The fact that the price was reduced means nothing - perhaps it was too

high
to start with!

All true, as was Rosalie's. Her tongue wasn't too far in her cheek.

Friend of ours is a surveyor, so can estimate value pretty quickly.
Found "the" boat at a more-than-reasonable price -- the owner was
desperate -- but got greedy and lowballed the price. Someone else who
knew the market got the boat at asking price.

Desperation and impatience sometimes creates incredible deals. A
sister-ship to ours had a $3500 offer accepted (something like $3k under
asking), but the buyers backed out. Boat was in better shape than ours,
which is depressing. The engine by itself is worth that. Hell, the bare
hull is worth that, but such is the market.

Know what you really want and what you can actually use. Know the market
and values. Walk away until you "find your center" when you "have" to
have *that* boat. There is (almost) always a better boat, a better deal.

Personally, I don't even look at electronics, assuming it'll need to be
replaced within a couple of seasons.

--
Jere Lull