Doug

"Jon Gauthier" wrote in message
I haven't fired up EZNEC yet, but I was wondering how a standard 3dBi
marine whip would perform on the 2m ham bands. Since the marine
frequencies are 156.050-157.425 MHz, what could I expect at 144-148 MHz?

If it won't cut it, then does anyone have any recommendations for a
dual-band antenna (commercial or home-built)?

Jon

You could expect 3:1 or worse SWR unless you found a "dip" at certain
frequencies in the 2 meter ham band. I believe Morad makes a 2 meter version
of one of their marine antennas, however, their web site says "under
construction" when I checked it today. I usually use a Larsen (Radiall)
antenna on a boat for 2 meter ham band or VHF high band public safety
frequencies.
Do not try using a ham rig and a marine VHF radio on the same antenna, as
sooner or later you will accidentally end up transmitting into the other
radios receiver. Modified ham rigs on the marine band are illegal.
73
Doug K7ABX