JG

"engsol" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:35:29 GMT, 5200 wrote:

Are there customary stopovers for fuel and parts, half&half etc? Or do
you stay 200 miles out the whole way down? Are there smaller marinas
outside huge industrial areas like SF and San Diego? Thanks.

That's always the question....harbor hop, or go offshore. According to
the "World Cruising Routes", the best route between Seattle and San
Francisco
is to go offshore 100 miles. This assumes the boat and crew are up to it.
Part of the reason is that you'll have a favorable current and steadier
winds.
The whole west coast is a lee shore when the prevailing winds, out of the
W and NW
are blowing. The Capes are no fun either if it's stormy. As another poster
pointed
out, entering the few ports enroute usually require crossing nasty river
bars.

If you want to avoid SF, aim for Pillar Point (Half-Moon Bay)....small and
well protected.
From there it's a day's hop to Monterey..another nice stop. From there
it's a long one
to Santa Barbara, you'll pass Cape Conception enroute. If you have to duck
in because
of weather, be sure to treat Morro Bay with caution...may be better to "go
outside"
From SB to San Diego, with an optional stop at Catalina, and you're home
free.
Don't miss San Diego just because it's a 'big' city. Besides you'll have
to do the
paperwork 'stuff' to continue on to Mexico. Try Shelter Island Marina.
I've been there
several times, and always have enjoyed it.

Charlie's Charts of the US Pacific Coast may be of help too.

Norm B.

Last I went down the coast from SF to Cabo, we were 100-150 offshore. It was
easy, but not particularly interesting. Next time, I think I'll harbor hop
if at all possible.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com