Tan PS

Default Mercruiser Topic

My idea of "in order" is preventive maintenance. Safety items do not fall
into this and are in the no-go category. As I have just bought the boat,
there's no telling what conditions are. Asking the seller on its history is
just making small talk. In this instance, the drive removal picked up the
upper drive oil seal leakage. Would have been costly if allowed to
continue.

Since the drive is out, might as well change some of the items. Bellows and
cross-bearings, would have probably lasted a few more months to a year. If
I were to change them when they finally give, would have meant dropping the
drive again and more downtime.

Every repair means effort and downtime, adopting a preventive replacement
cycle can be cost effective. Parts replacement cannot be avoided, its just a
matter of time. Planned replacements compared to use-till-it-breaks works
out to marginally little extra cost over a 10 year cycle and may be cheaper
if labour and downtime is considered. Secondary damage and towing at sea is
costly and will still require maintenance spend.

Tan PS

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
I'm a bit lost in this. Did all of this stuff need repair to get the
vessel "in order"? If so, you have saved some $$$$$ at the possible
expense of safety.

This is a textbook example of why a job budgeted for $$ can easily
cost $$$$$$.
Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.