Mad Dog Dave

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary and Homeland Security

(Bob) wrote in message
our charter as the auxiliary comes from congress. it would, literally,
take an act of congress to militarize the auxiliary. although the aux.
was armed during ww2, there is no plan to do so now and it's unclear
how it would be done.

Thank goodness for that. As a conservative, I'm concerned enough about
the spread of police-state powers in this country recently. The idea
of being involuntarily boarded or given "orders" by the USCGA is
absolutely repugnant, as is the idea of fingerprinting volunteers.
It's bad enough when the Power Squadron/USCGA types confront you at
every boat ramp and marina for permission to snoop around your boat.

I'm really out of step with today's conservatives. Real conservatives
want to strictly limit governmental powers. Many of today's
conservatives apparently are enjoying watching us evolve into a police
state.