(initiator of thread) Thanks for the suggestions and comments. One of
the problems that I am having in narrowing my selection is due to the
fact that my principle harbor, Havre de Grace, MD, has one marina of
significant size and, I swear, 90% of the boats are either Hunters or
Catalinas (the marina is also a dealership for these boats - there is
kind of a 'monopoly' feel about the place, though everybody is nice and
it does not have that 'uppity' feel that Annapolis has. That most buy
from product from the 'oligopoly' is not a bad thing, but when I walk
around I do not run into owners of Freedoms, Bristols, or even Sabres
and Tartans, etc. So, like others here, I have to rely on forums like
these to narrow my search. I plan to buy in the Fall before the boats
are out of the water. I need time to raise cash, but I also suspect
that it is a decent time to buy, much like waiting for October to
purchase a motorcycle. This weekend I may again drive down to
Annapolis, this time to see a Bristol 27.7 and 29.9. There is also a
nice looking Freedom 32 listed with Rouguewaves, and a 30' Sabre with a
smaller broker. I am definately thinking smaller (and feeling
wealthier). The Tartan 37, Ericson 38, etc. are now off of my short
list.