DSK

How "new" is it?

Jeff wrote:
Roughly 100 years newer than the old Erie Canal. They are two different
canals. The original was opened in 1825. In 1905 they started
completely rebuilding, including abandoning much of the original route.
The "new" canal was opened in 1918.

IIRC the original followed the natural course of the Mohawk River. The
new one goes a bit north of there.

Anyway, I'm not going to say you're wrong, but it looks nothing at all
like my charts of the area. We were just reviewing that chart book,
planning a Great Loop cruise.

Are you sure you have the correct chart? Chart 14786, page E-40 (on my
1998 edition).

My chart is a bit older than that, but how much has it changed? My
charts are on the boat. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

... It is also where the Champlain Canal starts.

No, that's not true. The Champlain Canal starts many miles up the
Hudson. The *route* to the Champlain Canal, and thence to Lake
Champlain, starts there.

The first lock on the Champlain Canal is 2.5 miles north of where the
Erie joins the Hudson, though it is still in Waterford. And the
Federal Lock at Troy is 2 miles south. Every reference I've ever seen
(including chart 14786 and the NY State Barge Canal site lists Waterford
as the beginning.

What I meant is that the route to Lake Champlain follows the natural
course of the Hudson for many miles... up to Fort Anna at least IIRC.
It's not a "canal."

Fresh Breezes- Doug King