tomtwice

I have a 7.3metre (25foot) 'Whittley sea legend' sports fishing boat.
(I live in Western Australia)and I decided on twin motors and bought
135 Mercury OPTIMAX 2 strokes. I can't fault them. Fuel consuption has
averaged 15ltrs per hour (thats 7.5 ltrs per motor)over the 3 years I
have had the boat, but at a cruising speed of 25 knots I get about
22/25 ltrs per hour.(11/12.5 ltrs per hr EACH MOTOR)I reckon thats
pretty good . Do you NEED 2 motors? Only when one fails..... and that
happened to me 3 months ago, about 10 nautical miles offshore, in a
20/25 knot wind, with seas to 2metres and a 1.5/2 metre swell. Not a
very good situation to be in if you only had one motor I can tell you.
What happened was the that the 'thermostat' had **** itself, along
with the impeller, and the engine overheated. Mmmmmm... However, I
limped back to the mainland and into port with just the one motor...
no worries. and I'm still alive to tell the tale. My advice is buy
TWIN outboards...they are SAFER, and they are so much easier to
manouvre in and out of the dock....oh yes, and did I mention...TWO
MOTORS ARE SO MUCH SAFER THAN ONE...do you really need another reason?
tomtwice,

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message ...
Clearly I confused the issue by mixing two strokes with four strokes.
My inquiry was 1 or 2 engines.
If both setups were 2 strokes, which would have a faster top end and why?
Which would be more economical fuel wise and why?
Which would be faster out of the hole?

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message
I want to order a new 26' walk around from a local dealer.
It could come with a pair of 4 stroke 150's or one 2 stroke 300.
What would be the characteristics of each set up?
About all I know is that the pair weights 932 lbs, the 300 weighs 543.
Lets leave initial cost aside. All engines are Yamahas.