John Proctor

On 2005-03-27 07:06:10 +1000, "Jim Donohue" said:

John -

While the listed antenna are all sub-optimal on the lower bands the
difference in performance is marked if they are loaded reasonably well.

I doubt that the requirements of off shore racers should in any way
influence what cruiser do. Cruisers simply don't lose rigs. That is a
more due to the propensity of the racer to go all out even to the risk
of the rig. Every rational cruiser avoids stressing his rig...it just
makes life to difficult.

Note that jury rigged antennas or carrying some spare gizmo still
provide lots of opportunity for a cruiser to get out when needed even
after an unexpected disaster. .

It has been my experience that emergency use of the SSB is reasonably
common but that the cause is generally not a severely damaged boat.
Mostly its stuff like getting something to work or dealing with a
medical problem. Even on occassion have seen starters rebuilt at sea
with expert advice from a ham net.

Jim Donohue KO6MH amateur extra
On 2005-03-27 00:46:39 +1100, Larry W4CSC said:

SNIP

Jim, I think it is a matter of degree. One should be prepared for the
worst. A backup system must be available for reliable first time use
when the chips are down. Yes 90% of the time you will have no problem
using a backstay. The point I was trying to make is that there are
alternatives which can give good (notice I didn't say great!) service
which address other reliability issues.

On that note I think this topic has been done to death and there is
obviously a divergence of opinion. I know what I will do when I put HF
in my 37' Jeanneau SO.

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789