Len

Skipper wrote:

But when problems do arise I want to have a choice.
Depending on the situation I want to make a choice between a)
waving/using a gun and b) let it lie in it's place...,

Len,
Never show a weapon. Never brandish or wave a weapon. It sounds
like you really need some defensive training.

So when say two robbers, with a grown knife between their teeth, row
to your boat, you'd just shoot them by surprise instead of giving them
other thoughts by letting them take a look at your 12 ga.?
The term "warning shot" isn't in your vocabulary?
Being less of a wise guy I won't go in in what kind of training you
might need, but it's all in what you call "defensive" or "offensive".