Larry W4CSC

"Gert Been" wrote in
:

Ehh, talking about "Decent" multiplexers: decent multiplexers have
isolated inputs, yours don't.

I just connected one of yours to a differential NMEA talker output. I
can
now hear all NMEA data on my SSB!!

While trying to find out what's wrong, I found that all inputs on your
multiplexer have the B terminals connected to ground!!! NMEA inputs
are supposed to be isolated. Your grounded B terminals on the inputs
effectively short-circuit any properly designed talker. Was it that
hard to add 50 cents worth of optocouplers?

Gert

This is one of my pet peeves with most manufacturers. STupid Icom's really
expensive M-802 uses a BNC RF connector that only has ONE WIRE and ground
to hook the NMEA data to the transceiver for DSC/GMDSS GPS input. They
should all be HUNG! If everything had a balanced line like NMEA was
designed for, I could probably transmit on HF without tearing up the whole
boat's NMEA network....(d^