Bart Senior

I spent over $800 on new line for my old Etchells. To tell
you the truth, I prefered replacing it. Mine is color coded.
Green=spinnaker, Blue=Main, Red=Jib.

The standing rigging would not be too hard to replace, and
you might get away with what is there if you don't over stress
it.

For the price it might make a nice project. I've thought about
building a Star. We've talked about that. Having a trailer
and spars would make that a practical project.

"DSK" wrote
Bart Senior wrote:
Down there, not far from you.

I wrote the guy. He says -- no soft spots. Not sure
I'd believe that.

He may not know, soft spots can be hard to find. A boat that's been
sitting up on a trailer out of doors is almost certain to have rainwater
puddles in it, which is the worst possible thing structurally. But if
they say no soft spots, it's probably pretty good.

I'm less hopeful about the rigging... the boat's deck layout is antique
and a Star is a high-stress rig that needs *good* standing rigging... if
the spars are good the boat will still need all new standing & probably
mostly new running rigging... and that's a lot o'$$...

6 sails... that's nice

This might make a nice project. The trailer alone
is worth the current bid. $820 If I didn't have too
many boats I'd buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4529738983&rd=
1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

The trailer is the biggest real asset. The boat is obviously never going
to be competitive, but it could make a real fun daysailor. Might be
interesting to pick up a boat like this and put a spinnaker on it... or
convert it back to the old Star gaff rig...

At one point I looked into putting a gaff rig on the Lightning, but
didn't pursue it. I did try a big asymmetric with a deck mounted pole.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King