Roger Long

Well, the hole in this discussion is already there. The question is
how it get's plugged up. It's either going to get plugged up with
fiberglass or with the existing bronze fitting designed for this
critical service and mechanically locked into the fiberglass by the
flange and nut.

As someone who has been designing boats (including fiberglass ones)
and figuring out how to keep the water out for over a quarter century,
I'm in favor of the latter.

If cost and time were not issues, and I wanted the inside and outside
of the boat to look like nothing was ever there, I would have no
qualms about a properly done fiberglass fill in. This is a case though
where, as an engineering judgement, I think the easy way out is
actually the most reliable by a small margin.

I find it very interesting what a minority I seem to be on this
(except for the single professional second opinion I've obtained).

--

Roger Long

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .

I don't understand how "reglassing is suspect." As for capping
thru-hulls, one very rarely sees that and it leaves a vulnerable
point. You might consider asking the ABYC.

When it comes to holes in your hull, the "more is better" approach
doesn't sound good.

DSK