Bill Tuthill

Lee wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm still a bit torn b/c although the Chaco is
more supportive than the Teva, but I do worry about the bumps on the
footbed. I'll try it out and I'm crossing my fingers hoping that my
feet will get used to the tiny bumps. It's too bad they don't make a
smooth footbed.

Several years back Chaco switched from a small-bump pattern
to the square-bump pattern. I wear both barefoot, and find
very little difference in foot comfort. Do you lack callouses?
The biggest improvement is that the square-bump pattern is
easier to keep clean with a brush, and thus smells less.

When I need to hike more than several miles, I wear wool socks.
I've hiked almost 20 miles a day in Chacos with socks, and have
no blister problems (fewer than with hiking boots).

When wearing neoprene socks for boating and on-river use, the
textured pattern prevents your wetsock from sliding around
when you climb on angled rock.

Most Tevas have footbed patterning also. One pair I have from
years ago (the only one that hasn't delaminated) now has a smooth
footbed. Seems like it might cause blisters due to sliding around,
but I don't trust it enough to try it on a long hike.