Lee

Default chaco sandals

My tevas wore out and I'm thinking of switching to Chacos. I tried the
Z1 Terranos on at the local store and they felt great except for one
problem: the footbed is not smooth, but rather it is covered with these
small circular bump thingies that made the bottom of my foot
uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something that
goes away over time? I don't want to make a $100 mistake. Thanks!

nafod40

Lee wrote:
My tevas wore out and I'm thinking of switching to Chacos. I tried the
Z1 Terranos on at the local store and they felt great except for one
problem: the footbed is not smooth, but rather it is covered with these
small circular bump thingies that made the bottom of my foot
uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something that
goes away over time? I don't want to make a $100 mistake. Thanks!

Not sure about the particuluar model, but I swear by my Chacos. On my
second pair, having worn a hole through the vibram soles of my first
after too many years to remember. High quality product in general.

Courtney

Funny you say that. You're the only one I've heard that from other than me
and my husband. My first pair of Chaco's were the thongs and love them. My
second pair which are Z1's bothered my feet. They rubbed throughout the day
to where they hurt. The same thing happened with my husband but he was able
to get through it. For me it got better but from time to time I can still
feel my feet getting tender.

Courtney

"Lee" wrote in message
ups.com...
My tevas wore out and I'm thinking of switching to Chacos. I tried the
Z1 Terranos on at the local store and they felt great except for one
problem: the footbed is not smooth, but rather it is covered with these
small circular bump thingies that made the bottom of my foot
uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something that
goes away over time? I don't want to make a $100 mistake. Thanks!

Lee

Thanks for the advice. I'm still a bit torn b/c although the Chaco is
more supportive than the Teva, but I do worry about the bumps on the
footbed. I'll try it out and I'm crossing my fingers hoping that my
feet will get used to the tiny bumps. It's too bad they don't make a
smooth footbed.

Courtney

Why don't you go to REI and ask to try a pair of Z1's on and walk around the
store in them for an hour or so. They let you do that with the boots, I
don't see why not the Chaco's. That should give you some idea on what's
going to happen to your feet.

Courtney

"Lee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the advice. I'm still a bit torn b/c although the Chaco is
more supportive than the Teva, but I do worry about the bumps on the
footbed. I'll try it out and I'm crossing my fingers hoping that my
feet will get used to the tiny bumps. It's too bad they don't make a
smooth footbed.

Bill Tuthill

Lee wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm still a bit torn b/c although the Chaco is
more supportive than the Teva, but I do worry about the bumps on the
footbed. I'll try it out and I'm crossing my fingers hoping that my
feet will get used to the tiny bumps. It's too bad they don't make a
smooth footbed.

Several years back Chaco switched from a small-bump pattern
to the square-bump pattern. I wear both barefoot, and find
very little difference in foot comfort. Do you lack callouses?
The biggest improvement is that the square-bump pattern is
easier to keep clean with a brush, and thus smells less.

When I need to hike more than several miles, I wear wool socks.
I've hiked almost 20 miles a day in Chacos with socks, and have
no blister problems (fewer than with hiking boots).

When wearing neoprene socks for boating and on-river use, the
textured pattern prevents your wetsock from sliding around
when you climb on angled rock.

Most Tevas have footbed patterning also. One pair I have from
years ago (the only one that hasn't delaminated) now has a smooth
footbed. Seems like it might cause blisters due to sliding around,
but I don't trust it enough to try it on a long hike.

minicooper

i just bought some really cool shoes -- i walk on the beach a lot and my
lightweight athletic shoes are ruined from the salt water because i can't
wash them in the machine. take a look at
http://keenfootwear.com/womens/taos.html (i bought the women's version);
they're really comfortable and tomorrow i'm going to test them on the beach
(if it's not raining). i think they'll work in my kayak too; so i can walk
on the sandspit.
"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message ...
Lee wrote:
[...]

Lee

Courtney: Why is it that the Chaco thongs didn't bother your feet but
the Z1 did? Don't the thongs have the same footbed bumpy pattern as the
Z1? Thanks. Lee