chuck

Before you cut into the boat, are the speakers magnetically
shielded so as not to interfere with your compass?

Jeff Morris wrote:
Jay wrote:

So I finally found a set of speakers that seemed like a good enough
deal and they came in last week. I'm wondering if anyone has any
input/experience installing speakers. They aren't flush mount which
needs I'll need to be cutting a few holes... some of my curiosity lies
in wondering if there's any certain saw blades one should use for
cutting fiberglass.... I was going to just drill a few holes to start
a hand jig saw... maybe tape up the area with duck tape to avoid
scratching.. other than that I didn't really know if there was
anything one should take precaution with.

I've used a RotoZip for this - much easier than a Sabre Saw. If its
simple glass it goes through it very quickly. Mine were in the cockpit
seats which had a 1/2 ply backing, so I went though 3 or 4 bits for both
holes. Tape the area with masking tape, draw your circle, and have a
helper with a vacuum to keep the dust down.

Also, though they weigh a couple pounds each, should I worry much
about providing some of support to the backing... like a brace to
dissipate weight on the fiberglass walls?

You shouldn't need support, but you could glass in some marine ply
before or after you make your hole.