Bruce in Alaska

In article , chuck
wrote:

We probably need a more carefully worded statement of just
what type acceptance means in this regard (VFOs). Or are you
suggesting that "open" versions of the type-accepted marine
radios are no longer type-accepted?

Regards,

Chuck

Yes I am stating that as a "Fact", that "opened" versions of "Type
Accepted" Radios are not still Type Accepted. The owner, or operator,
is not allowed to change ANY Major Operational Charactoristic of
a "Type Accepted" radio and still have a "Valid Claim" of Type
Acceptance. This is so stated in the FCC's Rules that detail
what is allowed and what spec's are required to meet "Type Acceptance"
by the FCC Chief Engineer, and his Lab. Just doing the required testing
of a radio, takes a couple of months, for MF/HF SSB Radios, and that
doesn't include any Modifications required to get the radio into
compliance. Been there, Done that, and it AIN't EASY........

Bruce in alaska who has worked BOTH sides of this issue......
--
add a 2 before @