Butch Davis

So, Harry. What major military bases are located in Duval and Clay Countys,
FL? Interesting that you mention the most cases that "ended up in the
civilian courts". These cases were obviously cases that were investigated
off the military bases. Civilian courts have no jurisdiction over crimes
commited by military personnel on military bases.

Alcahol abuse has long been a problem amongst military personnel. There is
something in the culture that carries forward into the present the habits
developed decades ago. Eventually the culture will change but change lags
behind the civilian world.

One thing that has changed dramatically is that a DUI arrest for a military
person is an absolute career ender. If an officer gets a DUI the officer
will never again be promoted and will by forced out under the two time
nonselect rules. Not sure how the NCO Corps is affected but imagine it's
about the same. A private or corporal might survive a DUI arrest but even
that is doubtful. There are, of course, other unforgivabe sins in the
culture. I'd imagine wife beating could well be one of them.

During my 35+ years on active duty much of my statesdide time was in the DC
area. I was and remain blissfully unaware of a significant problem with
spouse abuse amongst military personnel. But, as the military is simply a
cross section of the civilian world I'd imagine the problem exists and
possibly at rates a bit higher than usual due to the extremely high stress
environment in which most military personnel serve.

Regardless of all that I consider the average military member to be a hero
and deserving of just a wee bit of slack and respect.

IRT the question of wheather or not shooting the enemy is fun... IMO,
shooting the enemy is one hell of a lot more fun than being shot by the
enemy.

Butch
Subject: OT Soldier mindset
From: "basskisser"

He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around
for five years because they didn't wear a veil," Mattis continued. "You
know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell
of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Sounds good to me.

Capt. Bill

In Duval County, Florida, and in two adjacent counties, including Clay
County, the "profession" with the highest incidence of wife beating cases
that ended up in the civilian courts was U.S. military. This was the case
in the mid 1990s, and it was so bad that military base commanders were
forced into contracting out dozens of new cases each month to non-military
counselling professionals. Substance abuse, mainly alcohol, was also a
serious problem.