Peter

Alan Adams wrote:
In message .com
"peter" wrote:

ChipsCheeseandMayo wrote:

Hi there,

snip

Thanks very much for your help.

I can't help with the emptying bit, but regarding getting them back in
their boat...
Are you still using the method where you hold their kayak alongside
your own, facing the opposite direction, with your arms round/over the
front of their cockpit? After a number of actual and near back injuries
from using this technique at places that I've taught, we started using
an alternative method, whereby you hold their boat sideways in front of
you, on top of your boat, with you facing forwards, arms out front - ie
no back twisting. The victim then climbs onto the front of your boat
and into theirs. In my experience this is much easier for both rescuer
and victim, and requires less physical strength. HTH

I've used this quite a bit. It works well if you instruct in a playboat (not
too low volume though) as the front deck is flat enough for the victim to
get a purchase on. It seems to fail misreably if you instruct from a Dancer,
for example, with a high, rounded and long deck. The victim can't climb far
enough out of the water to start getting into their boat.

The downside of this rescue is if the victim is too heavy for the buoyancy
provided by the front of your boat - you then stand on end. It's not a major
problem, as you are holding their boat for support, but it dumps them back
into the water.

This technique works best if the victim has the strength/willingness/ability
to take a good part of their weight on their arms, applied to their boat,
thereby reducing the weight applied to your boat.

There are several ways of getting people back in. A listed few

1) The old traditional, opposite direction one as discussed above...
well that one is hard work, involves twisting and is very physical for
me as rescuer. Not recommended by me anymore.

2) The across deck, as discussed above - pretty good for small paddlers,
not so good with big paddlers, and little work for me ;-)

3) Boat to the side, victim comes up and across MY deck, using their
boat to pull themselves in. Victim needs to stay close to my Centre of
Gravity. Seems to work for most people, most sizes, except for the
extremely weak / unco-ordinated. This is my FAV, least work method.

4) Boat to the side, victim comes in on their boat's side at the cockpit
- I lift my side of the cockpit slightly so that I help to "scoop" them
into the boat. Works with smaller victims, who can almost swim in.

5) Boat to side, stabilized by me, victim climbs in up the tail of their
boat. Consider where you stabilize the boat - the bigger the person, the
nearer the nose you want to put your weight.

6) Use a looped sling to give the paddler a foot hold. Works best when
the paddler is on the far side of the boat from you. There are a number
of techniques for getting the foot "strop" - including clipping to you
(yuck!) Looping from a paddle shaft underneath the two boats, over the
victims - Over victims boat, under your boat, and back to your hand (a
friction based strop). Take you pick.

And my all time favourite...

7) There's the bank mate... off you go and get yourself in there. I
don't know how many times I have seen coaches (and others) struggle to
get people back in when there's a nearby bank.

Emptying boats

1) If there is a usable bank - use it.

2) If you have to empty it - use the victim or a nearby paddler. There
is no point straining yourself. I do, and I'm big 'n' strong. They fell
in after all ;-)

First get victim's bow onto your boat: Get boats lined up in T-shape -
send paddler to far end of their boat, and get them to push down and
swim to you. You grab the bow, and hold it on your deck. (TIP: Always go
for the bow first - this way the boats empty much better)

Second - get victim (or a.n.other paddler) to grab bow and pull across
your boat. The victim needs to swim to the other side of your boat from
their boat. Both feet on the side of you boat , grab boat with their
hands, and pull...

So far I have done no work...

Third - empty boat. Use the swimmer or another paddler - get them to
pull down on the bow. If you got the bow first, then that is the boat
empty enough for victim.

So far - still no work - difficult bit to come

Fourth - righting the boat - that's my job. Two hands on cockpit, raise
boat on to side. One hand grabs exposed bit of cockpit, and a push/pull
and boat is right way up, and right in front of you.

Phew... wasn't that hard work?

Tip: Always fit boats with air bags - it makes the rescue so much easier.

Sorry if this is teaching to suck eggs - just see too many people
struggling / hurting themselves.

HTH HAND

Peter