Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:17:00 GMT, "Gordon Wedman"
wrote:
SNIP]

it.

Also bear in mind that radar is NOT a substitute for maintaining a proper
eyeball and ear watch at all times, regardless of warning systems or
anything else.

BB

I have seen folks mount the display on a swinging articulated arm in the
companion way, but I

can't imagine how they make any use of it that way. It looks clever until
you
try and use it.

I made a similar arrangement for my first radar (Furuno 1720) in 1990.
It didn't swing, but slid on a track from the starboard side. It was a
CRT display, and was not supposed to be exposed to the weather. I
didn't like it at all that way.

I put a plastic bag over the back of it and carried it out to the
helm, where I could strap it on a horizontal board above the binnacle.
The first serious use of it in that arrangement cam when we made
landfall at Matinicus Rock, about 1900 on a September evening.

We saw the rock and the light house momentarily, and a few seals. Then
it socked in, and we couldn't see anything. One of the two ladies
would call from the nav station the bearings to the next rocks and
islands, and a safe course between them.

I really loved the radar up close. With its help I could visualize all
the familiar things that we couldn't see. I told our guest where there
was a great looking island (Isle au Haut) off to stbd. Probably
annoying, since she had never been there before and couldn't see
anything I was talking about.

Never again would I use a radar where I couldn't touch the buttons
from the helm. Eventually the cable plug succumbed to the abuse in
2001, and I replaced with a Raytheon SL70. That is meant to be exposed
and stays mounted at the wheel.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."