Y. Oda Jan 25, 2:08 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: "Y. Oda" - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:08:21 GMT
Subject: Lopolight.....A bright idea!
original | Report Abuse

Are these approved lights - as in USCG for use in
US waters?

I looked on the manufacturers sit and they provide
no comparison data for incandescent vs led.

Just curious.

Later,

***********

The regs call for lights of specific colors for various purposes, and
there are standards that require the light to be visible at certain
distances.

AFAIK, there is no requirement that the light come from any specific
type of source.
I passed CG Aux inspection once, when the anchor light was burned out
on my trawler, by tieing a flashlight to the to the halyard and running
it up the mast. There's no reason you couldn't use an oil lamp if it
had the proper color lens in it, so I can't imagine why would the CG
would care about the type of light source as long as it is the right
color and meets the minimum visibility standards.

As far as the incandescent vs. LED consideration, these lights kick
butt. There's absolutely no question they are a lot brighter than a
standard incandescent bulb, that's immediately obvious when you see
them in operation. "How much brighter?" is probably a good question.
Having seen them first hand, all I can say is "a lot." :-)