Jim Donohue

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:18:02 GMT, "Roger Long" said:

I'd like to think I could teach them
to do the same thing the old way but, face it, they know about GPS,
they aren't going to be very interested in learning that, "other
stuff".

Not my experience. I'm teaching navigation to my 26 year old daughter, and
she's thrilled with how she can verify our position with an LOP and look
at
her DR plot and correlate it to the objects she sees. We have a LORAN
aboard, but so far it hasn't interested her.

Ohh stop...what utter nonsense. Interesting navigation occurs when you
can't see anything and there is nothing for the radar to see. Then do that
for 6 days. Then end up within 10 meters of where you aimed for.

On what does she base her LOP? Wishful thinking? A voice in her brain?
For the sake of rationale behavior teach her how to use the real tools than
you can teach her the hobby backups if she cares.

Jim Donohue