Doug Dotson

wrote in message

On 2005-01-13 dNxFd.99492$KO5.42998@clgrps13 said:
Thanks to Doug and yourself for confirming this. I'm not
planning on installing one as I have a conventional backstay
arrangement but I was just wondering if anyone actually used this
kind of setup as I'd not seen it discussed. I guess if you are a
Ham and tend to work only one band this might be a good

arrangement for your boat.

IF I were at sea (and I am a ham) I'd still want more than one band
capability, especially were I at sea on a boat. One of the distinct
advantages of ham radio over most services is its ability to choose
the right band for prevailing radio conditions and the path one wants
to work.

The ability to choose bands depending upon conditions is not
distinct to ham radio. Marine SSB supports quite a few different bands
for the exact same reason. Bands are in the 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 18,
22, and 28 Mhz regions. All modern Marine SSB rigs support all of these.

Being that the ability to summon assistance when needed on
freqs such as 2182 is limited these days I'd want multiband capability
for my hf marine gear when away from land.

2182 isn't considered a good emergency frequency these days and
isn't relied upon. EPIRBs have pretty much made it obsolete. Matter
of fact, the CG doesn't even reliably monitor it.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

I check into the MMSN on a regular basis. Maybe I'll hear you
there.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista