Peter W. Meek

On 2 Jan 2005 22:23:33 -0800, "larry" wrote:

I am going to re-varnish the cabin sole and am concerned about traction
in wet conditions. Should I add a non slip maerial such as walnut
shells or micro balloons? If so, given a 4 coat application, which
coat should contain what additive? TIA Larry

Based on my experience with epoxy/(other resin) shop
floor coatings, I would say put the grit ON the second
to last coat while still sticky. The finish coat covers
and binds the grit and if thin enough, quickly wears
off of the tips of the grit particles leaving a smooth
floor (for cleaning and barefoot purposes) while still
providing excellent traction. By putting it ON the
sticky coat, you can fine-tune the distribution more
easily than if it were mixed INTO a coat.