larry

Default Cabin Sole Varnish & Traction

I am going to re-varnish the cabin sole and am concerned about traction
in wet conditions. Should I add a non slip maerial such as walnut
shells or micro balloons? If so, given a 4 coat application, which
coat should contain what additive? TIA Larry

Doug Dotson

I've never seen a varnished cabin sole with non-skid. Usually they
are just a beautiful slippery-when-whet finish. In order to protect the
finish, and deaden the engine noise, we put hull-to-hull carpeting in
the pilothouse and we have several throw rugs in the salon. We
attached some non-skid fabric to the bottom to keep them from
slipping around. West Marine sells rolls of the stuff.

Doug
s/v CAllista

"larry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to re-varnish the cabin sole and am concerned about traction
in wet conditions. Should I add a non slip maerial such as walnut
shells or micro balloons? If so, given a 4 coat application, which
coat should contain what additive? TIA Larry

WestlakeY

I don't normaly try new varnish products but ran into some chaps while in FL
and tried their :ultra-sole" on a test bed. (actual sole application) in the
Great Lakes last year. I'm very pleased with results, and excellent anti skid
properties. Easy to repair where we had abrasion on ladder contact with sole
Plan to use on additional boats this year. I am going to re-varnish the
cabin sole and am concerned about traction

Rich Hampel

Ultra-sole
Ultra-sole
Ultra-sole is a WONDERFUL slip resistant varnish for cabin soles,
especially when wetted does not have the 'slick' characteristics as
standard varnishes.

If you use throw rugs, get them with rubber backing. the rubber will
typically last 5 years and then harden and become slippery.

In article .com,
larry wrote:

I am going to re-varnish the cabin sole and am concerned about traction
in wet conditions. Should I add a non slip maerial such as walnut
shells or micro balloons? If so, given a 4 coat application, which
coat should contain what additive? TIA Larry

Cindy Ballreich

Doug Dotson wrote:
I've never seen a varnished cabin sole with non-skid. Usually they
are just a beautiful slippery-when-whet finish. In order to protect the
finish, and deaden the engine noise, we put hull-to-hull carpeting in
the pilothouse and we have several throw rugs in the salon. We
attached some non-skid fabric to the bottom to keep them from
slipping around. West Marine sells rolls of the stuff.

We use bath mats. They have non-slip rubber already on the bottom, are
machine washable, and have a nice fuzzy fabric that feel good on bare
feet. They're also fairly cheap.

Cindy

--
The email address above is a spam trap. Don't expect a response.
Reach me using firstname at lastname dot net
Glenn Ashmore

Where the heck did you find Ultra-sole? I saw it at Annapolis and was very
impressed but I can't find any place that sells it.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

larry wrote:

I am going to re-varnish the cabin sole and am concerned about traction
in wet conditions. Should I add a non slip maerial such as walnut
shells or micro balloons? If so, given a 4 coat application, which
coat should contain what additive? TIA Larry

MikeM

Are you referring to 'Ultimate Sole' refinishing?
Try he

http://www.ultimatesole.com/index.asp?ID=2

Peter W. Meek

On 2 Jan 2005 22:23:33 -0800, "larry" wrote:

I am going to re-varnish the cabin sole and am concerned about traction
in wet conditions. Should I add a non slip maerial such as walnut
shells or micro balloons? If so, given a 4 coat application, which
coat should contain what additive? TIA Larry

Based on my experience with epoxy/(other resin) shop
floor coatings, I would say put the grit ON the second
to last coat while still sticky. The finish coat covers
and binds the grit and if thin enough, quickly wears
off of the tips of the grit particles leaving a smooth
floor (for cleaning and barefoot purposes) while still
providing excellent traction. By putting it ON the
sticky coat, you can fine-tune the distribution more
easily than if it were mixed INTO a coat.

Rich Hampel

Must have had dame brammage and early onset Alzheimers .... Yup
ULTIMATE SOLE.

In article . com,
MikeM wrote:

http://www.ultimatesole.com/index.asp?ID=2

Varnishing Cabin Sole Frank Gerry Boat Building 3 January 20th 04 05:17 PM
FS: Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater w/ heat exchanger johng650 General 0 October 14th 03 05:03 AM
Hippo Oil varnish fc Boat Building 0 September 13th 03 07:13 AM
user of varnish remover on teak Dave Cruising 4 July 28th 03 01:49 PM
The mythology of varnish Don White General 0 July 21st 03 03:37 PM