s/v Marrakesh

I acquired a 1984 Gulf 27 early this last summer. I am happy with
the boat but would like to add an inside steering station. Anyone out
there who can tell me how to do this?

I never owned a G27, but have been on one, so have a vague idea what may be
involved:

Depending on where you intend on sailing, it might be easier / less
expensive to install a decent autopilot with a remote control in the cabin.
I wouldn't rely on it in a crowded seaway though.

There are three ways to drive a rudder from a wheel that I know of: direct
drive linkage (Cobra?), twin wires (Edson and others), single cable
push/pull. The problems with any of these three is that there will not be a
straight path for the cable/link and you will add -a lot- of additional drag
two both your wheels. There may be some way to disengage one to use the
other, but this could get complicated and possibly unreliable.

Last (and possibly the least expensive) option is to add a full enclosure to
the aft cockpit.

Remember, top priority should be given to -visibility- for the helmsman and
your ability to safely manuever your boat. I've seen some potentially
dangerous "yacht modifications", where these two things were completely
ignored.

Hope this helps,

Paul