Doug Kanter

Go to www.woodyswatch.com and subscribe to Woody's Windows Watch. Any time
you see an update available from MS, wait two weeks before downloading and
installing it. Read what you see in the newsletter. 9 times out of 10, they
report problems with the updates and suggest you wait till MS fixes them.
There's also a Woody's Office Watch newsletter. The site sends no crap mail
at all. When there are no problems with updates, the newsletters contain
some interesting tips.

Sometimes they're hideous mistakes, but sometimes they're just annoying. At
some point in 2003, they released a security update for Internet Explorer.
All of a sudden, people couldn't open email attachments. The update simply
changed one of the existing security options (Tools / Options / Security),
but since so many people think their computers will explode if they click on
the menus or read instructions, a ****load of users were stumped. The
Microsoft newsgroups were (and still are) swamped with messages about
inaccessible attachments.

Microsoft's explanation? At the time of the update, one of the major email
viruses was making the rounds. Their solution was to shut off attachments,
with the hope of forcing users to think about the situation and get to know
their software better. Great, but they made no announcement about his at the
point of download.

"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..
After my last test, I logged off, then could not log back onto my DSL
service.

Whatever was included in the latest Windows update download really screwed
this computer up.

After scratching my head and ass for a while, I finally did a system

restore
to the settings of yesterday. Now everything seems fine again.

I hate computers.

Eisboch