Peter Wiley

In article , OzOne wrote:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:28:19 +1100, Peter Wiley
scribbled thusly:

Pretty funny when the clueless manage a really good foot shot, Oz.
After all it was WhineyPill that told us that his high tech state of
the art cellphone system didn't work off of the coast of one of the
world's biggest cities!

Yep, seems the US is lagging behind in most consumer electronics...fer
christs sake, they still use NTSC tv and analogue phones.

My GSM gets reliable coverage pretty much the whole way up the coast
from Syd to The Whitsundays when about 6 - 8 miles offshore, and I've
had calls at over 15miles out on occassion.

GSM is a PITA in Tas because the coverage is spotty. Works at Snug 5 km
north of my place, works on North Bruny across the Channel from my
place, doesn't work at my place. OTOH CDMA works nearly everywhere.

Ah well my ship leaves at 1700 today, without me for this voyage, so
I'm gonna splash the daysailer and go play on the Channel. Right now
it's blowing 30+ so I don't think we'll venture too far, but what the
hell. Plenty of little coves on Bruny and it's perfect weather for a
chilled white wine and fresh oysters.

Oysters MMMMMMmmmmm, wouldn't eat em off the rocks around here yet.

I remember getting tins of mussels off the rocks in Berrys Bay when we
were kids, then cooking them over an open fire in the back yard at
home. I shudder at the thought nowadays. Ignorance really was bliss.

BTW they've introduced Pacific oysters to Botany Bay and Georges River
lately, They don't suffer from that bug (name escapes me atm) that
killed off the Sydney Rocks.
My mate the marine bio is stunned and amazed that they would even
consider it, they're tougher than the native oyster and will ensure
that they can never return even if a cure for the bug is found.

As an ex-marine bio I'd have to agree. That has to be one of the most
stupid things I've heard of. The oyster spat is almost certain to move
along the coast and infect other areas. Pacific oysters aren't anywhere
near as tasty as the Sydney rock oyster.

Pilly and Donal can enjoy the onset of winter. I'll be in Sydney in a
couple of weeks before I go to Fremantle - drinks at the Newport Inn
and bodysurfing at North Palm Beach.........

I'll be at the Newport Arms on Wed next week.
Hosting some Septic sailing mates who've never seen Oz.
Newport Arms will knock their socks off with its location.

Yeah, friend of mine lives in Irrubel Rd right near the RPAYC and RMYC.
We've spent many an hour in the bars round there.

Just don't get them so excited that they want to migrate, OK.

PDW