JamesgangNC

Yea, but if it was running the water would pretty much be expelled before a
noticable amount could get past the rings into the oil. Having said that it
is always advisable to back down slowly to avoid having the wake overwash
your tail.

As far as cam overlap I have about as much overlap with a crane cam in a sb
as possible with a wet exhaust and I still don't have water in the oil.

The question is how much water??? No water should be in the oil. Any more
than a little is really bad because it goes to the bottom of the oil pan and
that where your oil pump pick up is. And a very slight amount is usually
vaporized and vented. How did you find the water? While draining the oil?

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Dr. Dr. Smithers wrote:
Is the mechanic saying that you came off plane and the water came over
the transom and was ingested by the fuel injection system? If so, you
would have noticed if you had ever had that problem, and even if the
water flooded the deck, I can not imagine it leaking into the fuel
injection system. If it will, you need to correct that leak, because you
will always have water in a boat. . I would not accept that answer
from the dealer. You can contact Volvo Penta directly at:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glob...nited%20States

"Ralph Modica" wrote in message

Hello :

I have a 2003 Larson Cabrio 254 Cabin Crusier w/73 hours on the 5.7 Volvo
Penta
I/O.

Have recently discovered water in the engine oil. The dealer's mechanic
is
telling me this is "Normal" and may occur if the boat ingests water while
coming
down off-plane too rapidly or even if water is splashed too high while
putting
the boat in the water at a launch ramp.

Seems this is TOO easy an "explanation" for what I think is a defective
engine
gasket.
IF this IS something common, I'm amazed more people have not complained
to the
manufacturer's about designing their boats better to avoid water
ingestion.

I've also heard water ingestion is a common problem on Volvo 8-cylinder
I/O
engines. There is apparently a problem with valve timing being off - this
allows
the intake stroke to pull vacuum while an exhaust valve is still open,
thus
sucking water into the cylinders. Has anyone here heard of this or have
further
details ?

Thanks in advance !

Ralph

I don't know how the Volvo setup is designed, but I suspect the mechanic
is saying that the water slap on the transom pushed up into the exhaust
risers and then into a cylinder or two through the exhaust valves.

It ain't supposed to happen, but it can.

Eisboch