Jeff Morris

The Mariner is a cuddy version of the Rhodes 19. It is still being built by
Stuart Marine of Maine. They come in both centerboard and keel versions, and I
thought the centerboard was quite heavy, like over 100 pounds. I've only sailed
the keel version of the 19/Mariner. They aren't self bailing, but I've never
come close to flipping one, even in heavy air.

The Rhodes 19 has been very popular, over 4000 built, and is still raced
extensively in New England.

"John" wrote in message

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
Rich Hampel wrote:
For details of the the concepts go to:
http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/design.htm and follow the
links.

In article , John
wrote:

M.O.R.C. self righting requirements

Multinational Offshore Racing Committee specification as to how well
a boat must right itself after being broached?

Hull Speed

Is that in meters?

An arbitrarily defined number that reflects somewhat generally on
the low speed / drag curve anomaly at what is quaintly called "hull
Speed", a very important concept for those who sail commercially
bearing cargo, which prompts for an investigation of hull form /
drag relationships? Dunno.

Will we discover other anomalies around air / transonic and water /
transonic speeds and harmonic interactions thereafter?

Will they matter much to us common ducks?

And, for a 19' sailboat, what do you make of the following?
Disp./Length 104
Sail Area/Disp 24.8
Length/Beam 2.53

Specifically, it is an ODay Mariner.

Some numbers that will tell the well experienced something technical
about how well the boat can dump you in the water. Don't forget to
take your laptop in a freezer baggie to calculate how to trim the sails.

I believe the Mariner is self bailing. That means that if you fall
out of it when it dumps you into the water, if you get the sails
down and turn the boat right side up, and if allowed to drain
somewhat, it will bail itself out enough to sail well enough that
the holes in the transom will suck out all of the water.

Provided it doesn't dump you back in the water, again.

It's light and tippy, if you sail it right. Daysailers are supposed
to be like that. The only way to tell if you will like it is to sail
one.

Or am I misremembering again? It is a centerboarder? You don't give
a ballast / displacement ratio.

It has a 70 pound centerboard and 250 pounds of ballast; out of a total
weight of 1305 pounds.

I had a 16' (MFG Bandit) that did go over, and I had difficulting getting it
back up.
I am looking for something that is reluctant to go over and come up easily.
Although tippy, would this fit the bill? Thanks.